Invitation to "lurkers"

Jim_Harvey@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com Jim_Harvey@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com
Thu, 11 Jan 1996 06:59:08 -0500 (EST)

     Allen AND other serious aspiring technicians:

     It appears that the majority of "guests" are trying to maintain an
     element of decorum regarding this list. This is very considerate of
     them -- those that have come to be called "lurkers". Just as with
     dicussions of PTG matters, it is an unfortunate byproduct that
     pianotech is the only place to discuss pianotech. As a result, more
     diaglogue often evolves around the ramifications of statements than
     the statements themselves.

     I sympathize with those who consider themselves "newbies"; those who,
     regardless of age, are new to, but *seriously* pursuing piano
     technology as a profession, and have burning questions on a variety of
     subjects.

     The same thing happened before the list existed: someone has a
     question that to others may seem trivial. The normal chain is: another
     technician, chapter meeting, and PTJournal. Non of these are expedient
     when an answer is needed quickly. This was the primary reason I
     established and ran a BBS for piano technicians almost continually for
     over ten years (the one Bill Ballard has mentioned here, and that
     Susan Graham mentioned in an article). I was originally motivated to
     establish the BBS based on the following observation:

     During the technical Q&A portions of chapter meetings, I frequently
     noticed the strange "body language" of some members. I later found
     they were internalizing as to whether to ask their "stupid question"
     [their words] that might insult the intelligence of the group, or
     perhaps embarrass the person doing the asking.

     It is my contention that, with this type of self or implied group
     restraint, everyone loses.

     Enter 'pianotech'. Shortly after I discovered the existance of this
     list, I shut down the BBS. After all, the numbers, diversity, and
     talent represented here for fast responses is practically limitless.
     Alas, whether real or perceived, any restrictions you feel is not the
     "model" I had in mind during the BBS days.

                               ________________
     To this end, and in what I believe is appropriate to the spirit of
     PTG, if someone e-mails questions *privately* to me, I am offering to
     respond in kind (off pianotech) to those question(s) I am qualified to
     answer. Responses will not necessarily be as timely as they would be
     *on* the list, and they may be one-sided (my opinion only), but I'll
     respond as quickly as time permits.

     The fact is, of the technicians I know personally from this list, I'm
     not aware of *any* who would not do the same thing -- I'm simply the
     first to mention it. It may reduce traffic on the list. Likely not. It
     may cause spin-off exchanges such as these to diminish. Likely not.
     Either way, and once again, the majority loses.

     Jim Harvey RPT
     Greenwood, SC