prepped piano

Horace Greeley horace@compadept.com
Thu, 11 Jan 1996 00:32:37 -0800

>Our S&S D is to be used by the pianist from the St. Louis Symphony on
>Tues. 1-16-96.  She wants to mark nodes on the strings for plucking
>purposes with a "special wax pencil".  Following the performance she will
>remove the markings with a "special solvent that will not in any way
>damage the piano".  Evidently they have done this on pianos "all over the
>world", and have never run into any problems.  I am curious as to what
>these items are and if anyone has any input.  Thanks in advance.
>
>Al Zajicek  R.P.T.

Al,

Years ago, there was a book written by Marshall Bialovsky (at the time of
Calif. State University, Dominguez Hills) called "The well prepared piano".
Marshall spent quite a bit of time with some of the leading Los Angeles (and
other) area leading technicians, as well as with some of the more major
composers active w/ prepared piano @ the time.  While I suspect that this
slim tome has been out of print for closing on 20 years, it might be
available on the dusty shell of some University library.

Anyway, it was well thought out, well written, and _very_ concerned with the
care and feeding of pianos.  (Marshall was/is himself a quite competent
pianist and composer.)  A good reference on the general subject of the
preparedness of pianos.

My only further thoughts are these: 1.- If its not dangerous and/or
damaging, why not?; and 2.- In reference to #1, I would certainly (politely)
ask if the cleaner had any acetone.  I am sure you know that acetone is the
carrier for things like nail polish and Duco cement, etc., _none_ of which
should be allowed to get anywhere near piano wire as it is immediately
corrosive to the steel.

(George Crumb wrote some simply marvelous music for, among other things, a
prepared piano.)

Best of luck, stiff upper lip, and all that!

Horace

Horace Greeley, RPT                       14 Pyxie Lane
Piano Technician & Consultant             San Carlos, CA 94070-1506
The Colburn School of Performing Arts           415.592.6620
Los Angeles, CA                           horace@compadept.com