Fortepiano Tuning

Charles Ball ckball@mail.utexas.edu
Sat, 13 Jan 1996 19:35:48 -0600

This is a plea for help and advice. At the Music School we have a Dowd
harpsichord with a transposing keyboard and a McNulty fortepiano (a Walter
copy).

In a couple of weeks our early music ensemble wants to perform a CPE Bach
concerto for Hps and fortepiano. The fortepiano is designed to be tuned to
A=430. The ensemble tunes to A=415, no problem for the hps.

My question is whether the fortepiano can be successfully tuned down the
approximately 60 cents to A=415. I am not only concerned about the
consequences of ratcheting the soft iron strings up and down to accomodate
various ensembles and instruments, but also wonder whether the strings will
have sufficient tension for decent tone at that level.

Expert advice and experience will be appreciated.

Charles Ball
University of Texas at Austin