Chickering damper reg.

Lorlin D. Barber Lorlin_D._Barber@commonlink.com
Sun, 14 Jan 1996 21:01:13 +0000 (GMT)

I have inspected a 1903 Chickering 6'4" grand. Needs action rebuild and I
would like some input before taking on the job.

The design of the damper system baffles me. There are no damper wire screws
in the damper lift flanges. The damper wires are threaded and screwed into
the top of the damper lift flange. It appears that setting the damper lift
from keys would be very difficult. There are no capstains or any sort of
adjustment between the damper under lever and lift rail to even out damper
lift from pedal (which doesn't bother me as much as the lift from key
problem). IS SOMETHING SO OBVIOUS THAT IT EVADES ME?

If this system is just another weird Chickering experiment that is a bear to
regulate, is there any replacement systems available?

Thanks for any input!

Lorlin Barber, RPT