Key dip vs. Leverage

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Tue, 23 Jan 1996 13:54:15 -0500

>>  dip"       StrikeRatio       dipmm
>>
>>  .330                          8.4
>>  .345          7.0             8.8
>>  .360                          9.1
>>  .375          6.0             9.5
>>  .390                          9.9
>>  .405          5.0            10.3
>>  .420                         10.7

>>David C. Stanwood

>What is your standard allowance for aftertouch in this picture? Is it
>025", .050", or something inbetween?

Bare minimum.

>I tend to vary my aftertouch with the strike ratio, less for low ratio and
more for high.

>Dennis Johnson

That makes sense...

Another factor to consider is effeciency of the coinciding arcs:

1. If the capstan/heel contact point is significantly off the line between
the wip center and the key balance point at half stroke, it will take a
deeper dip to achieve aftertouch.

2. The knuckle/jack contact point is purposefully out of align to create
ineffeciency which expresses itself as friction which is built in for a
feeling of control.  If the spread distance and orientation is normal the
above figures will work best as QUIDELINES.

Comment:

I generally refer to the efficiency of the coinciding arcs as "geometry",
and the weight, leverage, and friction as the touchweight "configuration".

David C. Stanwood

David C. Stanwood