Earplugs to Hearing Loss

Jeff Stickney jpage@selway.umt.edu
Sat, 02 Mar 1996 09:47:23 -0700

        I'm glad to hear there are others out there who have discovered the
joy of wearing ear plugs.  I would like to add two observations/ideas:
        1.  I've noticed that the extremes of the piano are hard to tune
critically with both plugs in.  Especially in the top end I find that I've
tuned sharper than I normally would.  Perhaps this is just a foreshadow of
what it will be like if and when those frequencies aren't hearable even
without the plugs.  There are two older tuners in my town who both have lost
the ability to tune the top octave or six notes and both wear hearing aids.
Makes you think!
        2.  I will sometimes tune with just one plug in - usually the right
earplug since that ear is generally pointed more toward the piano than the
left.  I always wear both plugs for practice room tuning, and almost always
(now) remove both plugs when I get to the top notes.
Jeff Stickney, RPT
University of Montana
jpage@selway.umt.edu