discounts for anything

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sat, 09 Mar 1996 21:27:12 -0500

Jim asks 10 questions concerning discounts to piano teachers,  I must answer
all of them, no.

     The beginning tuners, with no business, must often make their prices
attractive enough to teachers, simply for their referrals.  The local
symphony was offered free tuning by one "technician".
      Competing on price is something that is usually done at the beginning
of ones career,  when you have more time than money.  As return business
gradually takes more and more of your schedule,( and if you do clean, careful
work, it will!),  you will have less time for new business until, finally,
 the referrals from a teacher will not be worth anything because,  you do not
have the time to do them. This is what happens when your price is too low.
      Keeping your prices constantly rising will allow you to have the time
to constantly increase your skills, and constantly increase the quality of
instrument  you apply these skills to; all of which leads to your time
becoming increasingly valuable.  Don't we all want our time to be as valuable
as possible?
     If you are turning down work because of time limitations, you are not
charging what your reputation is begging you to.
    Or another way of looking at it;  It is far better for a customer to go
elsewhere because you charge more, than it is for them to go elsewhere
 because you don't have the time to service them.  You will be making more if
the former situation obtains.

Regards,
Ed Foote

( I don't take disagreements with what I say, personally, so if you have a
different take on the experience/price equation, I would like
 to hear it.)