88 note pianos -Reply

Jack Reeves reevesj@BYUGATE.byu.edu
Tue, 12 Mar 1996 14:13:38 -0700

>I think it has more to do with extending the *bridge* further,
which>moves those lower adjacent strings away from the end of
the bridge and>rim, thereby giving those strings a more resonant
area of the>soundboard.
>vince mrykalo  rpt
Interesting concept, Vince.  Notes being added to increase tonal
properties of existing notes rather than notes being taken away
for whatever reason.
Keith McGavern, RPT kam544@ionet.net
To add to Vince's comment, I was taught that the top three notes
were important in order to extend the bridge and put a load on it.
Having a loaded bridge that extended beyond A7 made A7 a
better sounding note.  Didn't someone do that on the bass
end-add a string or two that could be tuned, but no hammers to
play them.  They were there only to extend the loaded portion of
the bridge.

Jack            jack_reeves@byu.edu