The Young Chang Blues

Thomas D. Seay, III t.seay@mail.utexas.edu
Tue, 19 Mar 1996 06:08:43 -0600

> Friends, I have a technical problem that I am trhowing out to the Universe
>in hope of getting some sort of reply..

<<TEXT DELETED>>

>#1 YC  action centers with little or no movement.  the friction is
>unbelieveable!  I Know that Repinning and reaming is the solution and I have
>all the neat reamers for that purpose. I also have the training..  My
>question is :
>
>Will Protec work,,, ??  or will I have to repin???. Or should I replace the
>darn action parts  ?????

I had much the same problem with a newer Y/C piano. The way to go is to
repin (using Don Mannino's method). You shouldn't have to replace anything
except the center pins. Protek is wonderful and works great, except it
won't eliminate that much friction. You have to repin. I would also suggest
checking the jack pinning as well.

>#2. This is where it gets tricky...  The escapement feels like  yor're
>falling off a short but very steep and sharp cliff.. Now that makes a lot of
>sense dosen't it??  You get a lot of resistance and then  BAM! or maybe its
>a "thud" ... All measurements are ok and I mean all... I think it has
>something to do with how sharp the edges are on the top of the jack and hor
>hard and just plain funky the Knuckels are.  It's just plain aawful to play
>and I really need some help..... Thanks folks

Your escapement and aftertouch should be much better after you remove the
friction from the action centers. This all presupposes that the action is
in good regulatiion. If not, make sure it is.

I would also suggest that if the knuckles are hard, take a needle or other
thin probe and insert it between the buckskin and underfelt and simply move
it from one side of the knuckle to the other. This will slightly stretch
the buckskin and make the knuckles less firm. Then use Keith's suggestion
of suede brush and teflon powder.

Good luck.

Tom Seay

t.seay@mail.utexas.edu
The University of Texas at Austin

                      PIANOTECH Digest 250

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1) Re: #pianotech IRC
      by "Kenneth W. Burton" <kwburton@freenet.calgary.ab.ca>
  2) Re: The Young Chang Blues
      by David Porritt <dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu>
  3) Re: 88 note pianos -Reply
      by rhohf@eagle.idcnet.com
  4) Re: The Young Chang Blues
      by Newton Hunt <nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu>
  5) Holiday in Havana?
      by Benjamin Treuhaft <blt@igc.apc.org>
  6) Re: #pianotech IRC -Reply-internet phone
      by Richard Adkins <RADKINS@coe.edu>
  7) Re: #pianotech IRC -Reply....communications through the web
      by Richard Adkins <RADKINS@coe.edu>
  8) Re: The Young Chang Blues
      by "L. Davidson Lamoreaux" <102555.33@compuserve.com>
  9) Re: The Young Chang Blues -Reply