Tuning exam unisons, was: Odd partial

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Mon, 04 Nov 1996 09:01:16 -0700 (mst)

Dear Jim (FL):

I know what you mean about paranoia. I used to be a very self confident
tuner who knew what he was doing aurally.  That blue box has made me
very insecure.  My friend Raye McCall used to say to me: "Jim, you have
absolutely no right to feel insecure.  Now stop it."  Like you, when I
first received my SOT and later SAT, I continue to be amazed at the
times my "box shows me up."  Eventually, I quit trying to improve machine
tunings and tried harder to use the machine to its fullest extent.
After a little more research, I plan to write a series of articles
on how to use alternate stretch numbers to purposely vary the amount of
stretch in the scale to improve the overall sound of a piano.

At the present time I am trying to encourage more people to tune the
treble unisons with the machine.  There is tremendous improvement and
stability available.  The only drawback is that moving the mutes is a
little more time consuming.

Jim Coleman, Sr.