Mysterious check?

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sat, 09 Nov 1996 08:39:47 -0500

 oorebeek writes;
<snip>
>Then you can determine whether the sound is too poor or not.
>If the sound is still too weak, you then adjust the height of the back
check. The >result: the hammer now checks HIGHER than before and the sound is
stronger. ,<snip>
>I tell you, push back the back check to make double sure there is no
contact, the >tone still has improved remarkably. Now what?

     I am starting to wonder if I am reading this right.      Voicing by
backcheck?
I have not been able to tell a difference in tonal strength or composition by
moving the backcheck to different positions, UNTIL I get it close enough to
drag on the tail as the hammer launches.  Once clear of that,  I find no
difference in sound.

     Might I respectfully ask that  we are given a more specific description
  than "the sound is stronger"?  and under what type of play?  I was once
faced with a real repetition freak, only way he was happy was with the
hammers checking way up by the string.  The next teacher to use the studio
complained about there being little power on fast repetitions.
    Is it possible that the lost of power(tone, 'stronger sound',  whatever
it is that is changing),  is because there is a effectivly a very short blow
distance on all but the first note struck?

Best regards,
Ed Foote
Precision Piano Works
Nashville, Tn.