Terminology or nomenclature

William Maxim WMaxim@gnn.com
Sat, 09 Nov 1996 11:15:03 +0000

List -

Is this a nomenclature (part name) problem?

>On Fri, 8 Nov 1996, oorebeek wrote:
>
>"Try spraying McLube on the bridge it mostly helps"

Since this was in relation to knuckles making a noise, a number of us have
had difficulty seeing what it had to do with bridges.

Andre - in our usage of (American?) English piano terminology, the knuckles
are in the action, the bridge (I believe it is 'Steg' in German, don't know
your Dutch term) is on the sound board where the strings cross.  You could
use McLube on the bridge but I can't see how it would help action noises.
Since all the other parts you mentioned spraying are in the action, I assume
you referred to some part of the action; would the repitition lever window
appear to be a 'bridge,' or the balance rail?

While I am on nomenclature, Barry - you asked about adding "belly bars" in
reference to the dead note problem.  I wonder if you referred to what we
call "ribs" on this side of the Atlantic.

Bill Maxim, RPT
Serving South Carolina from Greer and Columbia
Satisfying discriminating musicians since 1955