Piano Tech. position

Geoff Haydon musgjh@panther.Gsu.EDU
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 16:12:09 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 11 Nov 1996, Ron Torrella wrote:

 Can you give me more specs on the job?

 How many pianos? harpsichords?

There are approximately 80 pianos with about 30-35 grands.  One concert
harpsichord (Dowd two-manual), one "kit" harpsichord (one-manual), and one
Neupert two-manual that is in bad need of an overhaul.  More than half of
the pianos are Kawai loan program.  The rest are either Steinway Grands
(about 18), many of which need to be rebuilt, and 18 Steinway 1098
Uprights which are all sitting in the piano rebuilding shop (it is a large
facility).

> Grand-to-vertical ratio (or roughly how many each)? How big is the
> faculty?

The faculty consists of about 25 full-time and at least 40 part-time.
However, the piano faculty only has three full-time and you know all of
us. (Jim Lyke, Carrie Lewis and Geoff Haydon)

 Anything about the Atlanta Symph.?

The Atlanta Symphony is currently on strike so, at present, there is not
much to do.  However, they are periodically on the lookout for excellent
technicians so there is that possibility.  There is boatloads of work in
this city.  I am constantly referring work out

 What's the concert load like?

We are busy with concerts like everybody else during the regular year.
However, we have two concert grands (Kawai GS-100 on loan and a 4 year old
Steinway D) and both are very stable.  Therefore, tunings are necessary on
an average of perhaps once a week and most of the time only touch ups are
required.

 How about facilities?  What're they like?

We have two buidings that house the music department with a 1000 seat
concert hall that is run similar to the Kranert.  At present this
technician would not be responsible for anything in that facility but
extra compensation is always possible.  There is an old 400 seat concert
hall where most School of Music events take place.  The piano technician's
shop is huge, on the first floor, and has a door leading outside which is
basically an emergency exit with no handle on the outside.