Dust & Tone

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Tue, 03 Sep 1996 00:59:08 -0500 (CDT)

>I was wondering if dust on strings and soundboard effect the sound of the
>piano.  I like to keep the lid open (in my home) and so dust accumulates.
>
>If the answer is yes then are there any recommendations for the maintenance
>of the strings and soundboard (and possibly action)?
>
>Mitch
>Portland, Or

Dear Mitch,

Dust can be a factor.  A house feels better after a vacuuming.  I equate
the same feeling about the piano.  It seems to feel and sound better after
the soundboard has been cleaned of dust.

A qualified technician can wipe the soundboard and vacuum the action in one
service call.

Also, the comments by Ron Shiflet, RPT, about the possibility of warping
the top lid by leaving it up all the time were excellent.

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
kam544@ionet.net
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Oklahoma Baptist University