Baldwin Grand Action rails

David Graham U40DCG1@WPO.CSO.NIU.EDU
Tue, 10 Sep 1996 12:01:51 -0500

I picked up an action from a school the other day, supposedly to file
hammers and regulate.  Piano is a 1937 Baldwin L.  The hammer rail has
a crack running through the screw holes from notes 60-88.  Is the rail
repairable?  will superglue or epoxy be best to hold the rail together? As
it is, the action isn't salvageable.  Apparently the hammers had been
flopping around loose for a long time, and are worn so unevenly that
there is no point in trying to save them.  All the pianos at the school are
getting new actions as they are rebuilt anyway, so I think this one will
just get the action before the rest gets fixed.  But what should I do to the
rail?  Any experience with this problem?
David Graham
dgraham@niu.edu
BTW, we are still exploring our options regarding the D that fell off the
stage.  To noone's surprise, no one has admitted knowing anything about
it.