Wurlitzer Full Metal Pinblock

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Thu, 12 Sep 1996 22:52:52 -0700 (mst)

Dear List:

In 1952 I was working for the the Steinway/Wurlitzer dealer in Phoenix.
We had a 7' Wurlitzer grand on the floor.  It was of recent manufacture.
I almost bought that instead of the 5'10 Steinway L which I now own.
The Wurlitzer did not have the metal pinblock, but a standard pinblock.

I talked to Roy Neustedt and Cliff Anderson who were engineers at
Wurlitzer.  I asked them about the split wedge tuning pins used in the
vertical pianos and why they discontinued using that principle.  They said
that there were problems in the pins seizing up.  They tried various high
viscosity lubricants and finally gave up on the idea.

Jim Coleman, sr.