mortised in pin block was Re: 1914 WEBER PINBLOCK

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Fri, 13 Sep 1996 18:42:18 -0400

Scott:

There are three methods you might try, other than replacing the whole block.

1. Inspect the block in each of the pin webbing area. If the area is bad
enough, like the cracks are all the way through the block,  or there is other
damage to the pin block, cut out that webbing area, and make a new pin block
for that section, and glue it in, using epoxy. To make sure is is a tight
fit, angle the cuts like a trapazoid.
2. If the cracks do not go all the way through the block, rout out about 1
inch of pin block material in the webbing area you are working on, and then
make a new plank to fit in there. This is a little more trickier, because now
you have to match up the pin holes.
(these two methods require a lot of patience, and some good wood working
skills.)

3. The last method I tried on an older Weber grand and it works. I shored up
the bottom of the pin block with a plank, with felt and wax paper between the
plank and the pin block. I then filled all the holes half way with an impact
resin epoxy, the type you use on boats. I then drove 2 OO tuning pins in all
the holes. I let the epoxy dry for 1 week, took out all the pin, and strung
the piano with 3 OOO pins. I did this 5 years ago, and the piano is doing
fine. (I had to clamp the pin block in several areas, because of
delamination, but it worked).

I use this impact resin for small pin block repairs, when the customer
doesn't want to spend the money to replace a whole block. I don't guarantee
the rest of the pin block when I do this patch up work, but it gives another
couple of years to an otherwise useless piano.

Willem Blees RPT
St. Louis