Tuning the upper treble

Ted Simmons ted@palmnet.net
Sun, 15 Sep 1996 19:53:46 -0400

Maybe this is a little soon to post this problem.  I tuned a Baldwin "B"
yesterday and had no problem with it.  But it reminded me of what happens
during the upcoming Christmas season.  Invariably, when I arrive to tune a
grand during the Christmas season, I find that the top of the grand is
covered with Christmas decorations of such a nature that it would be very
inconvenient to remove them and raise the lid.  I carry a 3" and 4" tuning
tip for such occasions.  Usually, when I can raise the lid, I manage to
tune the upper treble with my very short tuning tip by manuevering around
the side of the piano.  I've been trained to believe that the short tuning
tip is the best.  It just seems to me that the long tips would tend to bend
the tuning pins.  And when I have had to use one, that is the feel I get.
I don't know a solution to this.  Does anyone?

     Ted Simmons, Merritt Island, FL