Tuning the upper treble

Ron Torrella torrella@umich.edu
Sun, 15 Sep 1996 20:51:23 +0000

On 15 Sep 96, Ted Simmons wrote:

> Maybe this is a little soon to post this problem.  I tuned a Baldwin "B"
> yesterday and had no problem with it.  But it reminded me of what happens
> during the upcoming Christmas season.  Invariably, when I arrive to tune a
> grand during the Christmas season, I find that the top of the grand is
> covered with Christmas decorations of such a nature that it would be very
> inconvenient to remove them and raise the lid.  I carry a 3" and 4" tuning
[snip]
> I don't know a solution to this.  Does anyone?

Never to early to anticipate this kind of problem -- I deal with it
almost on a daily basis.  If you're uncomfortable using a longer tip,
then perhaps the thing to do is politely ask the customer to please
remove the decorations from the piano so you can do your work.

Trying to work around seasonal trappings like that is a lot like
asking your dentist to clean and put filling in your teeth while you
chew tobacco .... get the point?  Besides, you don't get paid to do
that kind of work.  What happens if/when you happen to break an
heirloom that was charmingly displayed atop the piano?  I've never
had a customer refuse to remove things from the piano.  They're
always happy to oblige my request.  For future reference, you might
make it a point in your appointment set-up procedure to remind your
customers to clear the top of the piano before you arrive.  If they
happen to forget, oh well!  Make pleasant chit-chat (seated, of
course) while they do the hauling.

Happy Holidays!

Murphy's Law for Piano Tuners:  The odds that a string will break on a
grand piano during a tuning are directly proportional to the size and
number of books, pictures, stereos, and flower vases perched atop the
instrument.
Ron Torrella, RPT
Editor, Detroit-Windsor Chapter Newsletter