Tuning the upper treble

DaleP34429@aol.com DaleP34429@aol.com
Sun, 15 Sep 1996 21:37:37 -0400

Ted,
    I am also more comfortable with a short tuning hammer tip but have found
the same problem with pianos that you describe. Since you have until
Christmas before you see the piano, this is my suggestion.
   Try tuning the upper treble with your left hand. I assume from your
description you are a right handed technician. It takes practice to learn but
there are many benefits. If your right hand is injured, you can still work if
you are able to use your left. I began learning by using my left hand for
pitch raises then finer tuning as I gained confidence in my technique. In my
case, my left hand technique is somewhat different than my usual right hand
technique. Right hand is an overhead grip, left hand is underhand.  I hope
this will help.

Dale Probst
Registered Piano Technician
Ward & Probst, Inc.