Agraffes

Mark Graham magraham@baldwinw.edu
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 22:33:14 -0400 (EDT)

I haven't replaced more than 3 agraffes in my life. One broke on the older
of two Steinway D's on stage. We can live without it for about a week.

But here's the problem. I was using a #2 easy-out extractor. Drilled the
correct size hole. The easy-out wouldn't grip. I put a #3 extractor in,
and it gripped. But as I started turning it, the tip of it broke off about
flush with the brass. So now what do I do? Get a diamond tip bit and drill
all over again? I'm wondering why I couldn't budge the piece of the
agraffe. Can one use Liquid Wrench or something similar to loosen it? I'm
afraid now I might destroy the threads.

Any help would be appreciated. It's a 7/32" agraffe, if that matters. I'm
going out of town for a week starting Thursday night, so if anyone feels
like answering before then, I could use the moral support if nothing else!
Thanks, Mark Graham, Baldwin-Wallace Conservatory of Music