Plate Crosspiece

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Thu, 26 Sep 1996 00:22:04 -0700 (mst)

Again Joel:

I have never heard of any serious damage occurring when the cross peice
was removed.  However the explanation I have heard for its existence is
that it helps give support for the much heavier portion of the plate on
the curved side when the piano is on its side and being moved.  When
one considersd the jolts that a piano experiences during a move, this
must help some.

One time some eager show people moved the Steinway D across stage over a
fold in a rug.  The rear leg plate chipped loose and the piano tail came
crashing down.  The tuning went out horribly.  There was enough of the
matching leg plates left to support the piano if it was not moved. But,I
had to tune it twice to stabilize it before Show that night. This
showed me what a sudden jolt could do to a piano.  It could have been
much worse.  I suppose the cross bar does something toward keeping the
plate from shifting a little sideways while in transit.

Jim Coleman, Sr.