Perfect Pitch, ET vs. WT, tone color

Glenn rockymtn@sprynet.com
Sat, 6 Dec 1997 17:48:20 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Vanderhoofven <dkvander@clandjop.com>
To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
Date: Saturday, December 06, 1997 11:30 AM
Subject: Perfect Pitch, ET vs. WT, tone color

>Dear Friends,
>
>I received an advertisement in the mail fram a man named David L. Burge.
>He has a course on audio tapes that he claims can teach anyone to have
>perfect pitch.
>
>Quote from advertisement:  "I began to notice faint "colors" within the
>tones.  Not _visual_ colors, but colors of _pitch_, colors of _sound_."

>Any replies to my random thoughts are welcome.
>
>David A. Vanderhoofven, RPT
>Joplin, Missouri, USA
>e-mail:  dkvander@clandjop.com

I remember a long thread a while back on the rec.music.makers.piano
newsgroup.  Perhaps you can go to www.dejanews.com and search for the
subject.

As for what benefit perfect pitch can give a tuner . . . I say none.  I
would be willing to bet that a random note set to a person with perfect
pitch would still be at least a few cents off where it should be, ET
notwithstanding.

I even wonder what it can do for a player if you have to go through a great
deal of trouble to "learn" it.  Just put the time into learning the scales
and sight reading (I should talk!  Everything I play is from memorizing
fingering!  Drives me nuts!).

Glenn.