What is "Flagpoling?"

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Thu, 25 Dec 1997 19:06:38 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 25 Dec 1997, Jim Coleman, Sr. wrote:

> Hi Glenn:
>
> In piano tuning terminology, flagpoling refers to the practice of
> bending a tuning pin up and down on a vertical piano.

Nothing like starting out the New Year (almost) by disagreeing with
JC, SR, but here goes! JIm: your post says that flagpoling is the
"PRACTICE of bending the tuning pin up and down on a vertical piano"
This implies that the tech is doing this DELIBERATELY. I don't believe
that this is true. Flag-poling usually results when an overly tight
tight tuning pin--which is perhaps not set deeply enough into the
pinblock--AND WHICH USUALLY IS FOUND IN PIANOS WHICH DON'T USE TUN-
ING PIN PLATE BUSHINGS, inadvertently flexes or bends during the
tuning process. When one mentions the term flag-poling to a technician
the image that usually first springs to mind is that of a Steinway
vertical, although it can occur in grands as well. My personal feel-
ing has always been that if one isn't going to use plate bushings, they
would be better off using a 3/4 plate with an exposed block, because that
way the string coils can be tapped down close enough to the block to
minimize flag-poling which otherwise is the cause of much frustration
and bad language on the part of the technician and justifiably so!
In short, flag-poling isn't so much the fault of the technician as it is
the piano--no matter how over-priced it might be! :)

Season's Greetings!

Les Smith