[Fwd: Bosendorfer over Oriental]

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Sun, 02 Feb 1997 20:34:32 -0600 (CST)

>Dear List,
>        A pianist wants to place a Bosendorfer 225 (7' 4")  grand on top of=
>fine oriental rug for acoustic and aesthetic reasons. Because the rug is
>beautiful, it wants to be seen as completely as possible and be
>undamaged as much as possible (with 720+ lbs. sitting on it). To this
>end, it was thought that perhaps squares of Lexan under the casters and
>a 26"X38" rectangle under the artist's bench and pedals might fit the
>bill. Does any one have experience with this situation? Advise?
>        Thanks very much.
>
>Rob Loomis
>Stringed Instrument Restoration Services
>15 River Rd., W. Leyden, MA 01337
>413 624 3902

Dear Mr. Loomis,

Just some thoughts on your post.

Those Lexan squares will distribute the weight maybe somewhat better I
imagine than the casters or caster cups, but there would still be a square
depression with the Lexan squares to some extent.

I do not know if Lexan is clear or not, but if it is, why not use an entire
sheet that encompasses all three legs at the same time, like what you are
considering for the bench.  You would still see the oriental rug, and the
weight distribution would be greatly enhanced.  Of course, if Lexan is not
clear, then all of this is moot.

Sincerely,

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net