More on Ebonics et. al.

James McCormac jmccorm@tfb.com
Sun, 02 Feb 1997 20:59:37 -0800

Hi Doug:
	I lifted this from a posting on the piano technician list.  I
though you might get a chuckle out of it:

Lee Sankey wrote:

> Jewish English or "Hebonics"
>
> The Encino School Board has declared Jewish English a second language. Backers
> of the move say the district is the first in the nation to recognize Hebonics
> as the language of many of America's Jews. Here are some descriptions of the
> characteristics of the language, and samples of phrases in standard English and
> Jewish English.
>
> Samples of Pronunciation Characteristics
> Jewish English or "Hebonics" hardens consonants at the ends of words.
> Thus, "hand" becomes "handt."
>
> The letter "W" is always pronounced as if it were a "V".
> Thus "walking" becomes "valking"
>
> "R" sounds are transformed to a guttural utterance that is virtually impossible
> to spell in English
> . Itis "ghraining" "algheady"
>
> Samples of Idiomatic Characteristics
>
> Questions are always answered with questions:
> Question: "How do you feel?"   Hebonics response: "How should I feel?"
>
> The subject is often placed at the end of a sentence after a pronoun has been
> used at the beginning:
> "She dances beautifully, that girl."
>
> The sarcastic repetition of words by adding "sh" to the front is used for
> emphasis
>  "mountains becomes "shmountains" turtle becomes "shmurtle"
>
> Sample Usage Comparisons
> Standard English Phrase                 Hebonics Phrase
> "He walks slow"                  "Like a fly in the ointment hewalks"
> "You're sexy"                    (unknown concept)
> "Sorry, I do not know the time"  "What do I look like, a clock?"
> "I hope things turn out for the best     "You should BE so lucky"
> "Anything can happen"        "It is never so bad, it can't get  worse"
>
>  ----------
> Lee Sankey
> LSankey@swbell.net

> Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

So much for the lesson in Yiddish.
	Concerning the ranch, there is a point that I would like you to
consider that I should have brought up when I was at your office.  It
concerns timing.  You are quite right that moderate sized developer is
likely to be the best fit for the ranch project when it comes time to
grow houses rather than trees.
	Your point about a developer wanting to proceed quickly is well
taken as he has the cost of money in time to consider.  The more quickly
he is able to convert raw land into houses for sale, the better his
profit picture.  It is for this reason that I would like to you consider
the benefits of proceeding toward a perliminary subdivision map of the
ranch.  If we assume that it takes the better part of a year to get the
map work to this first level of approval by the county, a developer
interested in our project would have to factor te extra time into his
calculations concerning the value of the land in such a project.
	By being a year down the road with a tentative map, I suspect
that one would interest a larger group of developers, and we should be
able to negotiate a better deal.
	Just some follow-up thoughts on our conversation.
Warmly,
JMc