What you are is what you hear

David Porritt dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu
Mon, 03 Feb 1997 18:30:58 -0600 (CST)

Ah yes, the old dilemma of soft enough blow to actually hear the note,
but firm enough to set the string.  I used to tune fairly softly as I
didn't want to damage my ears.  I also knew I could hear better when the
notes weren't so loud.  Unfortunately, some heavy hitting players
revealed the instability I had left in the piano.  I have found the
compromise that works best for me.  Musician's ear plugs.  I can hit the
note hard enough to have stability, and it still sounds like it did when
I tuned softer.  I really do hear better with them in.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University