Painted keys

FirTree@aol.com FirTree@aol.com
Mon, 03 Feb 1997 19:56:48 -0500 (EST)

Jere:

Why save the ivory? You're not really going to gain much value for an old
upright by cleaning them up. As part of any good tech's repertoire, you
should learn to replace keytops, anyway.

Yes, ivory does have some unique properties as a porous material, but I don't
think it will matter on that piano. A concert grand would be worth the
effort, although if you found one with painted keys I would be very
surprised.

Personally, I think that had piano makers of the 1910's and 1920's had good
plastic, they would have used it in a hot minute.

Dave Stocker, RPT
firtree@aol.com
Tumwater, WA

<< The thing that disturbs me the most is the keys.  They are
 the original ivory and seem to be in good shape other than they are a bit
 yellow.  Someone in their wisdom did some cosmetic surgery and painted them
 white!  My question is, is there a way to remove the paint?  I can chip some
 of it off but not all.  I really would like to preserve these keys.

 Thank you for your suggestions in advance.

 Jere Fryett
 jfryett@minot.ndak.net