Verdigris

Tcoates@aol.com Tcoates@aol.com
Mon, 17 Feb 1997 07:32:17 -0500 (EST)

Sorry Jim about offending someone from the great state of Kentucky.  By the
way, your writing is eloquent!  It is an honor to be reprimanded by you.

So, it is burbon I use on verdigris.  I've tried vodka, but it makes the
screws loose (in the action that is).

Remove the action so it can be placed on it's side or laid down.  The burbon
works best injected with a large animal syringe.  While I'm at it I inject
all flanges.  No use doing one and not the other, as who knows what flange is
really the problem without checking them all.  Put a drop on either end of
the flange pin and either side of the bird's eye.  The action will be tighter
than it was to start with, but move all the parts to make sure the burbon
washes the pin.   Reinstall the action and wait a day.  A hair drier can be
used to speed the drying process, but I find it a waste of time when nature
can do the same.  None of this takes very long, just the spinets (Action
removal and reinstallation)

I've used this on grand actions that were frozen with hammers blocked against
the strings and spinets that were completely frozen in all flanges.

Hope this helps,
Tim Coates
University of South Dakota