Fallboard Locks

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 20:22:21 -0500

At 11:24 AM 2/18/97 -0500, pianotech@byu.edu wrote:
>     List,
>
>     What's a good piano lock for institutional pianos?
>     Is the Jaras fallboard lock any good?
>
>     Many thanks once again!!
>
>     John Piesik, RPT

The mounting plate under the keybead is weak and will break if enough
pressure is applied.

The best system I have seen is the one designed by John Ford but I saw one
bent so that the eye bolt was screwed out.

I have seen eyebolts opened enough to remove the lock.

Optimum would be 1/4" plate steel with temper steel eyebolt and a lock that
cannot be cut with a bolt cutter.

I have not seen one yet the some enterprising student cannot bypass, give
time and incentive.

        Newton
        nhunt@jagat.com7

..oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.
 ()_()
 -^.^- USAGI NO ONNA
 (___)}
   "Good evening ladies and gentlemen, here's a little number I tossed off
recently in the Caribbean."
"Minimum wage!  Yee-ha!"
Et introduxit me in cubiculum sum.
..oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.