Behr Bros / Care & Feeding (long)

RPSPIANO@aol.com RPSPIANO@aol.com
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 18:25:41 -0500 (EST)

Allan,
I have seen a couple of these Behr Bros and they were pinned
on the bass bridge as you describe.  Newton had the answer I
believe, although at the point where one pin goes right and the
 next left, it seems the holes would intersect and weaken them.
They must have also been drilled at some different angles.

Here are some :(I won't quote them all it is quite long)
 Recommendations for the Care and Preservation of the Piano
from Behr Bros & Co. Grand & Upright Pianofortes
292-298 11th Ave. N.Y.  in 1909

Bear in Mind- that the piano is more than a piece of furniture
in its mechanism, and delicate in its case and often receives greater
injury through lack of use than from excessive use. Therefore the
following rules should be observed;

Wiping Off-   <snip>

In Placing the Piano do not put it over or near a heater, as hot
air is very injurious to any cabinet work---<snip>.  Keep
the piano closed and cover with a sheet or blanket when
sweeping, cleaning or airing the room. A piano should be
opened for a time each day to prevent discoloration of the ivory
keys.

Tuning-  <snip> Too much stress cannot be placed upon the necessity
of regular and expert tuning.

Action Regulation To preserve the musical and mechanical
qualities of a piano, the action should be regulated not later
than the second year after purchase.  The regulating of a
piano is distinct from the tuning, which is only placing the
strings in proper unison and at the correct pitch.

Sympathetic Vibrations - The jingly or singing sound at times
noticable when the piano is being played, frequently is due to
what is called "sympathetic vibrations". This is produced by an
ordinary article in the room vibrating in sympathy with some
particular tone of the piano. To ascertain the cause of this vibration,
the key which seems to produce the difficulty should be struck
by one person, and another should go about the room listening
carefully, and thus the article which vibrates can be discovered
 and the cause removed.

Moths-  <snip> it is advisable that lumps of camphor be inserted
in the instrument

Keys and Action  -<snip> sticking or sluggishness from any
other cause (than moisture) will probably require the service
or a tuner or regulator.

Pedal Squeaks - When it occurs, remove the bottom panel
of the piano and apply a little black lead powdered from a pencil
at the part where the friction exists.

Cleaning the Case - is not a difficult matter. Wet a piece of
canton flannel and drop upon it a few drops of ordinary table
(olive) oil and then rub a small portion of the piano at a time,
wiping it off thoroughly with a soft, clean chamois skin or
another piece of clean canton flannel, always taking care to rub
with the grain of the wood and occasionally to breath on it in order
to remove every particle of oily substance. A little flour rubbed
with the grain of the wood will effectually remove all the greasy matter
remaining from the oil. Go over the entire case in this manner.
The bluish haze that is often noticed on a polished varnish
surface, and which is nothing but the accumulation left by
moisture and dust from the atmosphere  will disappear when
the oil and water are applied. Use no "furniture" or so called
"piano polishes". The National Piano Manufactures Association
has issued a circular on the subject of varnish.

Dusting - In dusting a piano, it is preferable not to use a cloth,
but a soft brush of uncut feathers, such as is ordinarily called
a coach brush. <snip> to a great extent prevents scratching
of the polished surface.

To Prevent the Keys - from becoming discolored <snip>
to clean the ivory keys, which should be done at least
once a week, employ a soft linen cloth dampened with
alcohol, being careful, however, that the alcohol does
not touch the polished surface.

Mark Ritchie RPT
Cols., OH

<<
 Ran across something unusual today that I thought I would throw out for
 feedback.  I tuned an old Behr Bros. Upright which had an unusual pinning
 scheme on the bass bridge.  This is a lot easier to see or draw than to
 describe so please bear (behr?) with me.  On one unison the string pass to
 the right of the upper bridge pin then to the left of the lower pin.  Sounds
 pretty standard, right?  However, on the next unison they pass to the left
of
 the upper pin and the right of the lower pin.  It looks a little unusual and
 I was wondering of they did this to try to prevent splitting or what?  They
 are still running in the same line so there is the potential to split along
 the grain.

 Anybody seen anything like this on other instruments or have an idea why
they
 went to the trouble?

 Thanks for the input.  Things like this always get me to wondering.

 Allan

 Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
 Gilreath Piano & Organ Co.
 Berry College