CA glue

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Thu, 27 Feb 1997 18:59:37 -0500 (EST)

Hi, Wally.

I think that I'm missing something here. I though that the reason that
CA glue was being advocated as a tuning pin tightener was that its great
strength and wicking ability, coupled with its fast drying time, made it
possible to treat entire pianos, or sections thereof, WITHOUT having to
remove the pins and strings. It seems to me that old age would begin to
set long before the tech could treat an entire set of pins in the manner
described. Further, if i'm going to go through all the trouble of remov-
ing the pin and string, why not just repin with a larger pin? Lastly, if
this is meant as a treatment for a single pin, or several, where the pin-
block has undergone some trauma, such as the laminations starting sepa-
rate, wouldn't swabbbing the hole with 5 minute epoxy be a better choice?
Surely the gap-filling abilities of the epoxy far exceed those of med-
ium-viscosity CA glue. What am I missing here?

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net