World Class Junk

barre41 barre46@ibm.net
Sun, 01 Jun 1997 00:53:13 -0500

BSimon1234@aol.com wrote:

(snip)
>  What would you do with a SAT to aid in attempting to tune a piano like this?
>
> I finally put the SAT away and did a completely aural tuning, and was
> underwhelmed with the results. The customer was delighted.
>
> But really, - what would you do?
>
> Thanks,
> Bill Simon

There are a lot of pianos that the FAC tunings are not the best that you
can do with the machine. Any time that I get wild or even readings that
are far apart, I discard the FAC readings and use the original method of
calculating the tuning from C3 to F6 by measuring the stretch of the
2nd  and 4th partial of F4.
You may already know how to do this but in case you dont, here is a step
by step procedure:
	1. Be sure you do not have a memory page selected.
	2. Set SAT on F5 = 0.0
	3. Tune F4 to SAT
	4. Set SAT to F6
	5. Measure 4th partial of F4
	6. Store stretch number of F4
	7. Press stretch key once more and you should see C3 displayed.

You can now tune from C3 to F6 using the SAT. From that point you can
tune aurally or by direct interval tuning using the SAT.

I hope that this is helpful.