Dampers

Wed, 07 May 1997 14:55:08 -0700

Gina,

If we all had to pay Jim Harvey a copyright/patent commission for each time
we used one (or more) of his "blatantly stolen" ideas, he'd be well retired.

Thanks, Jim.

Horace

>Horace, Jim, et al,
>
>First, I don't do dampers. Second, when I am forced to do dampers at the
>piano (like when one doesn't work properly), if it's the bushing I use a
>brass rod the size of a treble mute wire, heat it and burnish the guide rail
>felt. Works great. In a pinch, I've even used the treble mute wire. Takes
>much longer but will work. I've never pushed the felt thru the guide rail
>hole since I started using this method, and I can't recall having to do a
>second repair on the same problem damper. Don't even have an umbrella tool
>anymore.
>
>(I blatantly stole this from Jim Harvey.)
>
>Gina Carter

Horace Greeley			hgreeley@leland.stanford.edu

	"The defining statistic of death is that it has a one to one ratio."

		- George Bernard Shaw

LiNCS				voice: 415/725-4627
Stanford University		fax: 415/725-9942