fast repetition

Greg Newell gnewell@en.com
Wed, 07 May 1997 20:51:51 -0400

List,
       Greetings all! I have a dilemma I'd like to discuss with you
all.  It is a warrantee situation and I have not yet contacted the
manufacturer but do fully intend to. I have recieved such good advice
and insight from you all in the past I thought I'd run this by you first
before I get the proverbial "we've never heard of that problem before".
       Well, here goes. This week I've run into a Yamaha MX100II
purchased by one of my customers 2 years ago and serviced the first few
times by the dealers technician. My customer is a good player and also a
teacher and accompanist. She is unable to get good repetition from quite
a few "popular" note  in the mid-section of the keyboard. The "other"
tech increased letoff on at least two occasions to insure that the jack
was clearing the hammer butt cushion for proper return of the jack but
the problem still exists.
        I have found, during my examination, that both the hammer return
spring and the jack spring have plenty of kick to them. All parts are
pinned well within tolerance and the action feels normal. Furthur, the
regulation is pretty good. I've not found anything that I would normally
look for in this type of situation. Perhaps the only clues I have are
somewhat loose hammer butt buckskin over a fairly soft cushion and that
the problem is more prominent with the sustain pedal engaged. Aside from
these observations I haven't a clue. It seems that the "other" tech is
in the dark as well.
       I would appreciate any insight you might be able to share with me
before I contact Yamaha and ask for their help.

Thanks in advance!
                               Greg