center pin reamers, homemade

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Fri, 09 May 1997 11:14:32 -0500

With the home made ones the problem often is too sharp, either from a
burr or a sharp edge, so just make another one, or twirl in sand
paper.  But that is what I like about the c pin reamers being of soft
metal,  you can custom make for each situation.  If you need one a
little rougher, do another roll with the file.  If one is too rough,
twirl it in sand paper or make another.  The uniformity with the
center pin reamers far surpasses that which I can get with the
tradtional tapered "cornered" reamer.  Oh and they also cut the time
appreciably. You know technicians and time, and making their own
tools.  Now that it is revealed that the inventor isn't getting paid
for his idea,   the opportunity of trying and comparing that
particular commercial offering is rather remote.
	For burnishing, I lean towards the traditional tapered comercial
kind. I am wondering if one could rough one of those up with sand
paper or a file and do ultra fine reaming with that, but that is on
the "try this some day" list.
	A faster way of roughening c pins is to use pliars with grooves in
the jaws.  The results vary from criss-cross to parallel.  Simply
squeeze the pin, rotate quarter turn squeeze again and try it out. I
was forced to use this once, but I liked the results so will try it
again.
Richard Moody

----------
> From: Don Mannino <donmannino@worldnet.att.net>
> To: 'pianotech@byu.edu'
> Subject: RE: center pin reamers, homemade
> Date: Thursday, May 08, 1997 1:34 PM
>
> My main complaint with using center pins as reamers is that they
don't
> stay sharp, and each time you make a new one it cuts a little
> differently. Hammer centers especially need to be consistent in
> friction, and hard steel reamers make this much easier to
accomplish,