Flat A

Warren Fisher fish@COMMUNIQUE.NET
Sat, 10 May 1997 14:48:24 -0700

I live in transient suburb who's citizens and those who are my customers
are constantly moving in and out chasing their careers in the oil patch,
the Navy and various government vocations.  So I get in a lot of pianos
from all over the world that have a puzzling charastic.  The pitch of
the A4 is many times considerably different  (usually flatter) than its
immediate neighbors!

Considering the fact that this is the wettest place in the world this
time of year, I'm not surprized to get a piano that is 15 to 20 cents
sharp if it came in from Denver or AT pitch in the middle while the ends
are 30 cents flat if it had been neglected, but why is there 4-8 cents
difference between A-4 and G# or A#?  Since we SAT users usually measure
that note to compute a pitch raise offset (I don't anymore) it can lead
to some interesting results.

Why is it flatter?  Is it because we tune the "A" first in the
temperament process? Or the F,A & C in the FAC procedure?  Several times
after finishing the FAC procedure on a substantial pitch raise, I've
wondered if I should put those strings back at the pitch they were at
the start so all of the strings would be pulled up together!

I've also noticed the A" being slightly flat at times on pianos that
just need a tuning, old customers as well as new.  So what is going on
here?
Any guesses?

Warren

--