Laptop? (was Re: SAT for JP ?)

Glenn rockymtn@sprynet.com
Mon, 12 May 1997 08:36:56 -0600

KUANG wrote:

> Hi JP, Warren, and list,
>         $1200 is a serious investment, for $300 more, you could get a
> very
> fast pentium laptop (some slow pentium laptops cost even less than a
> grand).  Does anyone use a laptop to tune a piano?  if so, how is it
> different from a electrical tuning device?  What software do you use?
> Or
> any comment?

I am sure you are gonna get a lot of replies to your comment but I don't
believe there is a Pentium or any other IBM platform machine that will
do tunings.  Unfortunately (yes, I said UNFORTUNATELY) you have to
choose from two or three Apple notebook computers.  They have a
reference chip for A440 and the Cybertuner software is written only for
that certain couple of models.

I just bit the bullet and ordered an SAT II.  I am a new tech and I
believe this will help me learn aural tunings faster while allowing me
to jump in start getting a couple of bucks for the many floor tunings
that I can pick up.   My aural tunings are coming along but I don't feel
they're good enough to collect money for.  Now, after becoming familiar
with the SAT, they should be.

Glenn.