"rig" jobs,,was horror repairs

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Fri, 23 May 1997 00:40:46 -0500

I gotta add this one, as I saw it today.  A cut out from what looked
like an inner tube used as a flap valve for a "roller" organ, but get
this, it was held down by duct tape!!
	"How did you think of this?" I asked.
	"Oh,,, that's the way I got it," replied the client.
	For those  not familiar with mechanical musical instruments, a
roller organ is a table top  pump organ like instrument that operates
by a crank instead of pump pedals and  uses pinned wooden cylinders
to  play tunes.
	Flap valves are common to all player pianos.  I thought player
technicians would get a chuckle from this.  I am wondering (not
really) how the rubber was made to lay flat.

Richard Moody

> From: Tunapiana@aol.com
> To: pianotech@byu.edu
> Subject: Jesse French upright horror story
> Date: Thursday, May 22, 1997 8:09 PM
>
> Dear list:
>
> Thought I'd share this appt I had today:
>
> Lady with an old Jesse French ex-player upright-piece of junk
snip
>The first thing I noticed was that the keys were not level at all
and when I
> pulled a couple out to check the "leveling job" I found-would you
> believe-FAUCET WASHERS where there should be balance rail
punchings.
snip