S&S D --BROKEN SOSTENUTO STIRRUP

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Tue, 27 May 1997 15:55:24 -0400 (EDT)

Warren;
<<The wire is very tight in the holes, do we really need the solder also?>>

  Due to the fact that once the "stirrup" passes the horizontal plane there
is a "pulling" moment on the stirrup, whether going up or down, it is best to
fix the stirrup in place by something other than a press fit.  If not, the
"stirrup"  'will' be worked loose by the action of the monkey or whatever
device used to activate the sustenuto rod.
Four methods of acheiving that fixing in place are:
1.  CA glue (which I believe Joel said would not work and he is probably
right, although I don't know enough about the different formulations of CA to
say for sure)
2. Soldering.   Soldering is the traditional technique but is not as strong
as Brazing.
3. Brazing.  Brazing requires a higher heat than Soldering and uses 'harder'
material than solder .
4. Silver Solder.  Sil Sol used in this application would be my preferred
method.
The method to use for best adhesion/fixing is to sweat the solder into the
joint of stirrup and rod.  Even if you don't think there is any room for the
Sil Sol to flow, it will.
Jim Bryant (FL)