Yamaha bass strings

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Thu, 29 May 1997 16:31:29 -0400 (EDT)

Greetings,

recently posted;
>  The question I have is for my own piano. One month ago I bought a new
>  Yamaha C3 and I am very happy with it except for one thing that I did
>  not notice when I tried the piano at the Yamaha dealer: two of the bass
>  notes F2 and F#2 have a very unpleasant metallic overtone.

>  The Yamaha tecnician tried to solve the problem by voicing the hammers
>  but the problen only got worse, now the notes sound duller and the
>  metallic overtone is even more noticeable.

      I would like to suggest that the technician should have swapped hammers
with the adjacent ones.  This would allow him/her/  to isolate the problem of
metallic overtones without ruining the hammers or string or the tuning pin
holes.  Once you know where the problem is, then begin doing the irreversable
stuff like needling hammers and turning tuning pins in and out.

Regards,  and DAMHIK

Ed Foote
Precision Piano Works
Nashville, Tn.