Pure 5ths Using the Accutuner

Richard Raskob raskobrg@Rt66.com
Thu, 29 May 1997 18:33:49 -0600

Dear List,

	Thanks to Jim for his post on this subject.  I have for some time been
experimenting with using the SAT to tune more like my aural tuning.   My
method is very similar to Jim's.  I choose my A4 number by multiplying the
measured A4 number by 1.16 .   This normally gives me a difference between
..9 and 1.5 cents.  I reset the SAT at C6 as Jim stated in his post but find
that pianos with a high C6 measurment start to get octaves just a little
too wide for my liking around C7 and so I remove the reset at that point.
The bass end of many pianos seems a little wide as some have mentioned on
the list.  I have found that, if one resets the SAT sharp by the amount
added to the A4 number, a very acceptible bass can be had from the
Accutuner.  I have had good results on many different brands and sizes
pianos.  I only use a straight FAC tuning when I must pitch raise a piano.
This method gives a very musical piano which, when I go over it by ear at
the end of the tuning, needs very few changes.

yours
Richard G. Raskob RPT
raskobrg@rt66.com
http:\\www.rt66.com\~raskobrg\