Recrowning

Ted_Sambell@BanffCentre.AB.CA Ted_Sambell@BanffCentre.AB.CA
Thu, 29 May 1997 18:41:23 -0600 (MDT)

                      RE>>Recrowning                               5/29/97
Richard,

I beg of you not to ever do this; wedging the bridge was a popular fad
about forty years ago and is evidently a classic example of getting another
go round on the wheel of time. The theory was to cut down to the soundboard
vertically under the struts, jack up the board and glue wedges in the saw
kerfs. This is intended to increase the curvature of the  of the
soundboard. I never did it as every instinct rebelled against the idea, and
later I encountered three pianos that had had this type or repair.Each one
sounded very dead.

The fallacy is that the bridges so repaired were now holding the soundboard
up instead of the soundboard supporting the bridges.

Having been around a long time, I have seen several fads come and then lose
their allure, only to be rediscovered. I hope that this one will be cast
into limbo forever, where it belongs.

Sincerely,
Ted_Sambell@banffcentre.ab.ca