Temperamental public, please??

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Thu, 29 May 1997 23:03:20 -0400 (EDT)

Greetings all,

Susan Kline writes;
>>You see what happens -- ONE person complains of excessive volume, and now
>>ALL of us get to do without this very interesting reply, and who knows how
>>many others that will never get written. Please _consider_ before you
>>attempt to constrain the dialog, friends.

      IMHO,  we are not doing without technical postings because one person
complains of volume.  We are doing without because a number of valuable
people have found the signal to noise ratio here to be so poor as to render
the value of the list less than the time required to use it.  They have
simply stopped reading or posting.
       It  is the off-technical-topics that have cost this list the majority
of its loss.   There are several posters that have their postings  deleted,
unopened,  from some of our mailboxes, simply because such a huge percentage
of their postings have been of personal, or non-technical nature.
     We should all remember that  we establish credibilty through our
contributions.     I simply don't have the time to search through a seemingly
endless stream of humor and banter from these posters, and the only way I can
justify this list is to just limit myself to the posters that have something
useful, ( to me), to say.
     I know this seems hard, but I don't sign on this particular list for
humor, or congratulations, but technical input, and I try to contribute in
kind.     We should all ask ourselves before we post, "Is this of interest to
the list, or to just one or two people on the list."
     And Wim, please don't take offense, but should not PTG campaign material
go to the PTG list?   ( is that a reasonable request?)

      And since I have proposed that any post have something technical in
 it, here goes...........
      The use of CA glue with a matrix forming solid, like baking soda, or
chalk, or marble dust, will form a solid rock almost instantly.  this is
valuable when you need to form new bolster, or structure.  I have made a new
surface in a key mortise to glue a felt against.  (emergency stuff now!!)
 with a toothpick smear of CA gel, a pinch of chalk dust from the black
board, another drop of gel, another pinch, etc, and all of a sudden, you have
a shelf of new material that a drop of white glue attaches a piece of felt
to.  Breathe on it between layers, and it sets up like crazy!!
Also,
    We have just today finished my first CD production,  "Beethoven In The
Temperaments".   Four sonatas in well temperament on a Steinway D,  artist is
Enid Katahn, ( she is a Steinway artist of many years, and her husband is
Martin Katahn, who wrote "The Rotation Diet" books).   It will be released
this fall on the Gasparo label.  If any are interested in the liner notes, (
mine!)  I will be glad to send them, or post them,  but once again,  it is a
lot of bandwidth, so those interested should email me.  Several of you have
already seen them,but if others are interested, just ask.  Pathetique and Op.
14 no. 1 are done on the Prinz, and the Moonlight and Waldstein are done on a
Young.
      I have not heard this one yet, but there is also a CD out by Susan
Halligan of the Diabelli Variations, done on a Prinz tuned Yamaha C7, liner
notes by Owen Jorgensen, Tuning by Allan Day.  you can read her liner notes
at her web site.
  web site for Susan Halligan is http://www.pshift.com/credo/

Regards
Ed Foote