SAT "Ammunition"

DGPEAKE DGPEAKE@aol.com
Fri, 9 Jan 1998 02:13:06 EST

<<
 List,

    I've decided to seriously try and get my *boss* to let me buy an SAT.
 What I need is as much ammunition as possible as to ways that it would
 benefit the university/School of Music, as well as ways it would help me
 to do my job better/quicker/easier. Here are a few things I can think of:

 1. We now have 137 pianos, so I'm hoping to use that lack of another tech
    or two to help justify the SAT.
 2. 4 S & S D's, 2 of which are tuned VERY frequently and which are
    sometimes used together. I want to put a "master" tuning on all 4 and
    then use that for the retunings. I would think this would be a real
    time-saver.
 3. The 5 full-time piano teachers all have two pianos each. Again, frequent
    tunings.
 4. The pianos in practice rooms, classrooms and other teachers' studios can

    be tuned quicker, thereby getting more work done in the same amount of
    time. Correct?
 5. On the list, I've read about there being less stress and not getting as
    tired using an SAT. Can someone explain this so I can use it with my
    boss?
 6. The ability to use stored Historical tunings.
 7. A side benefit is that we are now using one of our B's for the tuning
    test piano and I would be able to put the master tuning on it before
    the test. I know, that won't help me convince my boss but I like it. :-)

    Feel free to add to the list and/or to elaborate on any of the above
 reasons. I would be particularly interested in having responses from
 institutional techs (university, school systems, large churches, etc.)
 who are aural tuners and have switched to the ACT, especially in
 institutional settings.
    Of course, anyone else is more than welcome to respond also. Thanks for
 any suggestions/ideas.

 Avery

 I have several pianos that I tune frequently, at least once/month or more.
The benefits of the SAT is for storing your customized tuning.  I often will
start from the low A and tune all the way up the scale to C88.  I only do this
to pianos I tune often and if I AM THE ONLY TECHNICIAN THAT TUNES THE PIANO.
If I hear something that my ear disagrees on the SAT I can make a quick fix
with my aural checks.

This is much faster (45 minutes or less) and because it is less stress
involved, you can tune more pianos per day.

Hope this helps.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland, OR