Action Retrofit

DGPEAKE DGPEAKE@aol.com
Fri, 9 Jan 1998 02:13:04 EST

<<
 Dear members of the academy...I mean list,

 I am currently considering the following project which I presume all
 rebuilders encounter at least once in their career:

 Piano:  Hof-Piano Forte Fabrik upright piano (pre turn-of-the-century
 German manufactured), serial no. 2487 with...gulp...birdcage action.

 Condition:  All the usual stuff we find on old pianos; cracked board,
 hairline cracks at bridge pins (surprisingly intact downbearing and crown
 though), tuning pins very loose and angled downward in elongated pin holes.
 This stuff presents no particularly unique challenge to restore.

 Situation:  Client has deep pockets and strong sentimental attachment to
 the instrument.

 Query:  Has anyone pursued the possibility of retrofitting a modern action
 into one of these things?  I expect the cost would be high but in some of
 our upright action rebuilding we have used parts from the Czeck 'Detoa'
 manufacturer.  These parts are available at modest cost for surprisingly
 high quality.  If you are still with me, the next question is;  What
 specifications/patterns would I need to supply the manufacturer to ensure
 that the action and keyboard would fit into the existing cavity?  Would the
 scaling of an overdamper outfitted piano preclude using an 'underdamper'(?)
 action?  Would it be safer to get the action brackets, rails and mechanical
 components separately and custom drill and fit with the piano at hand?

 Am I nuts?

 I would appreciate your opinions on all but the last question.

 Best regards,

 Stan Kroeker
 Registered Piano Technician

 Kroeker & Sons Piano Experts
 59 Quiring
 Winnipeg, Manitoba
 Canada  R2G 1Y5

 Ph. 204-669-5881

I believe Don Person in the Portland area did something like that.  You may
want to check.  Also, Joe Garrett has worked on a lot of birdcages.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland, OR