Broadwood Value

Wed, 14 Jan 1998 18:01:30 -0800

Anne Beetem wrote:

> Del,
>    Are you sure that 1930 date is correct?  Please describe the styling of
> the case, legs and music desk.   What type of mahogany?
>
>     That style of action was not uncommon before WWI, but 1930 seems rather
> late.
>
>      Where is it located?
>
>  Anne
>
> Anne Beetem
> Harpsichords & Historic Pianos
> 2070 Bingham Ct.
> Reston, VA  20191
> abeetem@wizard.net

----------------------------------

Anne,

No, I'm not sure about anything with this piano. We think the serial number is 253,493 but the plate had been sprayed at some
point in the past with the agraffes in place. Surely not by the Broadwood factory. At least I hope not. The date didn't seem
very reasonable to me either which is why I was hedging a bit.

The mahogany veneer is fairly "standard" -- that is, it is not flame, ribbon, etc. -- but has nice grain contrast. The finish
appears to be lacquer, but it may well have been refinished in the past. The rim is made of three parts, a straight treble
side, a curved section bending around to meet a straight bass side. There is no carving or appliqué's on the outer rim. The
lid is also very straight forward. The keycover is curved in front -- actually "hooked" around at the front edge. I don't
remember the music shelf assembly -- I'm writing this from home and I haven't looked at the case parts for a while. The legs
are square and tapered.

Regards,

Del