Restringing

PianoTek53 PianoTek53@aol.com
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 07:25:51 EST

Most of my work is tuning in the field, but over the years I have done most of
a hundred restringings.  I do a LOT of in-home restringings (including
pinblocks)... saves on time, and the extra cost of moving the piano back and
forth.  I've gotten the actual stringing part down to between 6 and 8 hours.

Anyway... regarding Glenn's comments... which were quite good, considering
this was after his second stringing...  he said:
"Very important:  support the pinblock with a jack.  Scissor type car jacks
work fine.  Don't forget to move it along.  DON'T FORGET TO MOVE IT ALONG,
oh and don't forget -- you get the idea!"
What I do, since I would forget otherwise, is to find the first unsupported
tuning pin hole past the supported part underneath, and then put a piece of
masking tape over that tuning pin hole.  Then, when I get up to the masking
tape, I know to move the jack!

Just my 2 cents!!

Richard Lapo, Jr.
RPT in NY