Kimble grand/Schwander action

kam544@earthlink.net kam544@earthlink.net
Fri, 10 Jul 1998 11:34:02 -0700

>...I've been over, under and in this piano, and I doubt
>this piano was new in 85...

Try again under near the treble side.  Use a bright flashlight.

>...The let-off feels
>amplified in the key.  It feels heavy, but not necessarily slow.  She hates
>the action and I told her I would see what I could do. I brought the action
>home.  I lowered the capstans and that has seem to make the action play
>better.  But the back checks needed to be pushed back too.  I noticed that
>many of the back checks were causing friction even before I lowered the
>capstans.  The adjustments I made seem to work fine, but I am concerned I
>did the right adjustment...
>John J. Kowalski

A couple of thoughts:
If the hammer tails are rubbing against the backchecks in their upward
journey, a/o the jack-to-knuckle relationship is off, that could give you
the symptom you are describing.  I'm not certain that lowering the capstans
alone would be a factor.  That would tend to increase hammer distance from
the strings and reduce the travel needed for let-off to occur, creating
little or no after touch, thereby making the touch seem to feel even
heavier.

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician