Perceived Worth

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 20:04:21

At 09:13 PM 7/29/98 -0500, Ron Nossaman wrote:
>Hi Clyde,
>
>I'm one of those guys who condemns them rather than try to reverse or
>minimize the devastation of the last eighty years of the old beater's life
>with a couple of hundred dollars in repairs. I think it ultimately boils
>down to two questions. How busy are you, and how happy would you be about a
>prospective rebuild customer getting a look at the results of your partial
>resurrection of the poor dead beast? If you are not neglecting higher level
>work to do it, aren't concerned about having your name attached to the piano
>in question, and feel like you are giving the customer their money's worth
>in the attempt, there isn't a problem.
>
>Ron

The two questions:

How busy am I? Not too busy to deal with a few of these old hulks now and
then.

How happy would I be about a prospective rebuild customer getting a look at
the results of my partial resurrection of the poor dead beast?

This I do not consider a problem. Anyone seeing my repairs who is worth my
worrying about will understand the situation; and my repairs, though
partial, will not be slipshod. Anyway, I'm serving the customer, not my own
reputation.
It can take care of itself just fine.

Some of these "old beaters" have more life left than we give them credit
for. Like others, I do explore the idea of getting a better piano when it
seems appropriate. However, even in this case, some repairs are often in
order, to make the old upright fit to sell. Many of them will make
_someone_ a piano to play on, someone who might not have a piano at all if
I didn't get the old thing working.

Just my take on it ....

Susan
Susan Kline